The café sector is broken down into the following categories:
- Café – chain - Starbucks / Costa etc
- Café – independent
- Café – in retail outlet / deli
- Cafe - where hot drinks are served in a sandwich shop
- Cafe - roadside & "greasy spoons"
There is much discussion about how to define a cafe, but we use the following as a guide :
- Where hot & cold drinks are the establishment's main revenue generator.
- Where food can be purchased, to eat in or take away.
- Where the establishment does not hold a licence for alcohol.